In order to make complaint under the RTI act of 2005, Section 18 of the Act authorizes the Central Information Commission (CIC) and the State Information Commissions (SICís) to look into the complaints against any Public Authority, Public Information Officer (PIO) and First Appellate Authority (FAA). Under section 18, it is ensured that in respect to the problems that an applicant or the appellant faces in the course of getting information, which he has the liberty to do so, the section provides for proper enquiring and taking corrective measures by the respective commissions.
The Situations under which an RTI compliant can be lodged consist of the following:
- When no PIO or APIO or FAA is appointed by public authority.
- When the PIO/ APIO or the FAA has refused to accept the appeal or the application.
- When the application sent by the applicant gets no reply from the PIO & FAA within the given time frame as fixed by the Act.
- If the reply received from the PIO is inadequate, unsatisfactory, misleading, irrelevant, unreadable, unclear, incomplete, false and so on.
- If the information has been wrongly and unreasonably refused
- When the applicant is required to pay the fee or the charges in excess to those approved in the RTI rules and regulations
- When the PIO or the APIO is not accessible either in person or by post, and his whereabouts are not easily and prominently displayed.
- Under section 4 (1) proactive disclosure has not been made publicly accessible as well as available.
- When a reasonable cooperation is not extended at the time of inspection or when the PIO or the FAA has wrongly refused to inspect records of public authority.
- When the applicant or the appellant is directly or indirectly threatened or intimidated, ill-treated or pressurized by the PIO or the FAA or any other person and restrains him or her from exercising his right under the act.
- When the citizen has been wrongly restrained and denied access to information which he is entitled to by the provision of the Act or other similar situations.
- If any violation of provisions of the Act is made by public authority, the PIO or the FAA.